Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bio

As a child, I often played in the black sand pile at the construction site that was at the entrance of our cul-de-sac. I hung out with the neighborhood kids, picked mulberry leaves for my pet silkworms, and learned how to ride my little red bike on that street. Nowadays, when my cousin picks me up from the airport at 6:15am, I breathe in the humid air, think of my Dad’s voice, look out the window as people start for work on their scooters. We head straight to my favorite beef noodle joint in my hometown of Chungli. It’s a ritual. The place is open 24/7, and it’s what I’ve been craving since my last visit to Taiwan.

I emigrated with my Mom and sister from Taiwan to Buffalo, NY, where I attended first and second grade at the same time, then moved to Queens, New York. In Queens, we moved almost every year, which I blame for my tendency to want to travel constantly, to pack up and go. I learned to be international between Corona and Elmhurst. I’m a Queens’ girl who’s been to Iceland, Peru and Cambodia to photograph landscapes; the manmade and natural world. Photographs bridge local and global experience, the gulfs between present and past, self and world. Places themselves contain a complexity that bears the marks of history and psychology in building, sky, construction and their interrelationships. I record themes of urban sprawl, sites of industrial activity, architectural infrastructures, and waterways, trying to visit and absorb as many places as possible. Combinations of conceptual order and practical chaos are present as I observe from a space located outside the area of activity. It is the intersection of human, climatic, and geographic realms that are contemplated in my photography.

No comments: